Joslin Diabetes Center Study
Are you interested in learning more about your body’s metabolism?
The purpose of the Mechanisms of Post-Bariatric Hypoglycemia study is to learn more about the causes of #hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which develops in some individuals who have had bariatric surgery. This study involves visits (over 2 months) to the Joslin Diabetes Center (located in Boston, Mass.). Over the course of 4 visits, the following will occur:
- Medical history, physical exam, EKG, laboratory testing, and wear of a continuous glucose monitoring device for 10 days at home
- Keep a log of food, activity, and glucose levels over the same 10 day period while also wearing a Fitbit activity tracker
- Provide a stool sample (collected at home)
- Follow a specific meal plan for 3 days before Visits 2, 3, & 4 and arrive fasting to those visits
- Meal test with collection of blood samples to measure your glucose and hormone levels
- Measure your response to the hormone glucagon
- Measure hormone levels while we gradually lower glucose levels
The Joslin Diabetes Center is enrolling:
- Ages 18-70
- Healthy individuals without history of surgery
- Individuals who have had gastric bypass without symptoms of low blood sugar
- Individuals who have had gastric bypass and have developed low blood sugars
Parking vouchers and compensation is provided to all participants. If you are interested in this Joslin Diabetes Center study, please email [email protected] and include your age, gender, and a phone number so that you may be contacted.