Research and Researchers Focused on Hypoglycemia
Recent Hypoglycemia Research Highlights
- Low Glucose on Last Day in Hospital Link to Death in Diabetes, Medscape
“Association of glucose concentrations at hospital discharge with readmissions and mortality: A nationwide cohort study.” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Low blood sugar poses unaddressed threat to people with type 2 diabetes – Endocrine Society analysis identifies hypoglycemia as an ongoing gap in diabetes care
- Preventing Hypoglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes
Current Researchers and Practitioners and Their Work
- Dr. Dan Cox – Research on managing blood glucose and use of CGM monitors.
- Veronica J. Brady, PhD, FNP-BC, BC-ADM, CDE – “Using CGM for Non-Diabetic Endocrine Issues– A Useful Weapon?“
Metabolical / Hypoglycemia “Hall of Fame”
- Dr. Seale Harris – Dr. Harris’ most celebrated accomplishments were his 1924 hypothesis of hyperinsulinism as a cause of spontaneous hypoglycemia.
- Gerald Reaven – Pioneer of insulin resistance and endocrinologist credited with identifying the metabolic syndrome.
Harry Salzer, MD, “Relative Hypoglycemia and Neuropsychiatric Illness” a classic paper published in the Journal of the National Medical Association, 1966. (Full PDF version available here.)
- Dr. Robert Lustig – Global leader on addressing the issue of excess added sugar and processed foods in the diet.
Hypoglycemia Research Archive – Key Studies and Papers
- HYPERINSULINISM AND DYSINSULINISM by Seale Harris, 1924
- Approach to managing hypoglycemia in elderly patients with diabetes.
- Critical Review: Hypoglycaemia by G.M. Wauchope, 1933
- Hypoglycemia and Hyperinsulinism – 1958 Classic by Walter Campbell, F.R.S.C.
- Reactive Hypoglycemia by Fred D. Hofeldt, 1975
- Hypoglycemic symptoms in the absence of diabetes: Pilot evidence of clinical hypoglycemia in young women
- Hypoglycemia and Diabetes: A Report of a Workgroup of the American Diabetes Association and The Endocrine Society
In general, these sites tend to focus on hypoglycemia as a condition related to type 1 diabetes, and other serious medical diagnoses. These sources tend to emphasize responses to acute episodes of hypoglycemia versus reactive (diet related) hypoglycemia which often manifests as a chronic condition… the responses to these different types of hypoglycemia can vary widely depending on many variables, so always consult with your health care provider for professional diagnoses and treatment.
- Medline Plus – Hypoglycemia
- American Diabetes Association – Hypoglycemia
- NIH – National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disorders – Hypoglycemia
- Medscape – Hypoglycemia
- Mayo Clinic – Hypoglycemia
- EMedicineHealth – Hypoglycemia
- MedicineNet – Hypoglycemia
- Wikipedia – Hypoglycemia
- WebMD – Hypoglycemia
- Diabetes.co.uk – Hypoglycemia